Friday 17 December 2010

Egg no2, and it is ALL mine....

So, today I get to eat my very first home grown (is that the right term?) egg. The kids had the first one, I didn't even get a look in. We carefully hardboiled it (after my 3 year old, Eve, nearly dropped it on the floor - a very tense few seconds followed), peeled it and sliced it precisely down the middle. Half each, a tiny, tiny dusting of Maldon on top as a very special treat. Went down a dream, in one gulp for my 6 year old, and few carefully positioned nibbles for Eve.

And 2 days later, egg number 2 has arrived. This one is mine, all mine. I'm not even going to show it to anyone else in case they try to steal it off me....

......And so to lunch, some hours later ...... one slice of rustic homemade focaccia, spread thinly with the exquisite nam prik sauce (Rick Steins recipe, from his far east asian odyssey book), topped with a small but perfectly formed fried egg. Delicious. More than delicious actually. It felt really, really amazing to be sat at the table eating the perfect egg, whilst looking through the french doors onto the garden watching the chickens that laid it happily scratching around the lawn.

The wait has been well worth it, and I am, once again, tremendously excited about all the eggs and all the recipes to come. So until the next egg, hasta luego.....

No comments:

Post a Comment