Wednesday 14 September 2011

Cheese & tomato scrambled egg - a hearty breakfast for a hungry day


I am not normally a breakfast person, my only true necessity being a bucket of strong coffee to get me going first thing. In contrast my husband, Rob, can devour 4 weetabix in a single (and indeed brief) sitting, a fact I have never quite got my head around. But just occasionally I feel ravenous in the morning. Today proceeded in its usual chaotic, flying by the seat of my pants fashion - two kids fed & watered, two packed lunches, a bit of shouting to get a move on, cleaning up after the not-quite-toilet-trained puppy - and once I returned home from the school run I found my thoughts greedily turning to food. I found inspiration from the bowl of shiny super ripe pomodorino tomatoes sitting on the worktop. Its such a perfect time of year for tomatoes, ripened sweetly over a long period of time I think they are at their most delicious in September. Rather guiltily I whipped myself up a breakfast of cheese and tomato scrambled eggs and quickly ate them with a thick slice of toasted rye bread. And I have to say it absolutely hit the spot and kept me going for hours in a way that a bowl of cereal never could. I shall eat eggs for breakfast more often.


Serves 1 (could be be easily scaled up to feed more)
Knob of unsalted butter
5 ripe Pomodorino tomatoes (cherry or baby plum would be good too), sliced in half
2 eggs, lightly beaten, seasoned generously with salt & freshly ground black pepper
Small wedge of mature cheddar (about 40g) grated
a thick slice of toast - ideally wholemeal, granary or rye 
Melt the butter gently in a small heavy based saucepan and sauté the tomatoes for a minute or two until they just begin to soften. Pour in the seasoned egg and add the grated cheese and continue to cook, stirring from time to time, until they are creamy and just set. Eat immediately - so hungry was I that I devoured them standing at the kitchen counter.



No comments:

Post a Comment